Athletes are known for pushing their bodies to the limit, so it’s no surprise that many are turning to plant-based diets to fuel their performance. A vegan diet can provide numerous benefits, including improved recovery times, increased energy, and better overall health.
Here’s a list of some of the top athletes we’ve seen who’ve adopted a vegan lifestyle and seen the benefits for themselves:
- Lewis Hamilton: Six-time Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton has been a vegan for a few years now.
- Venus Williams: Seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams adopted a plant-based diet to help her overcome an autoimmune disorder and extend her career.
- Jermain Defoe: English footballer Jermain Defoe switched to a vegan diet in 2018 and has seen an improvement in his physical performance and recovery times.
- David Haye: Former heavyweight champion David Haye has been vegan since 2014 and credits his plant-based diet for his improved speed, power, and endurance.
- Fiona Oakes: Vegan marathon runner Fiona Oakes has won numerous marathons and holds several world records.
- Kendrick Farris: Kendrick Farris, a weightlifter who competed in the 2016 Olympics, has been a vegan since 2014. He says his plant-based diet gives him a competitive edge and helps him recover faster.
- Tia Blanco: Professional surfer Tia Blanco switched to a vegan diet in 2016 and has noticed more energy, better performance, and faster recovery times.
- Patrik Baboumian: Strongman and World Record holder Patrik Baboumian has been a vegan since 2011 and credits his plant-based diet for his impressive strength and endurance.
- Tim Shieff: Professional freerunner Tim Shieff switched to a vegan diet in 2009 and has since won several world championships.
- Hannah Teter: Olympic snowboarder Hannah Teter has been a vegan since 2009 and says her plant-based diet gives her the energy and endurance she needs to perform at her best.
- Tom Brady: Future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady has been following a mostly plant-based diet for several years now. Brady credits his healthy diet, including mostly vegan foods, for allowing him to play at an elite level into his 40s.
These athletes demonstrate that a vegan diet can provide the necessary fuel and nutrients to perform at the highest level in a variety of sports. A balanced plant-based diet can lead to improved physical performance and overall health, as well as the peace of mind that you’re doing the right thing for the planet.